Monday, July 9, 2012

"What's in a name?"

Specifically, the name John.  About a month ago, I had a dream in which a certain individual from my recent past bearing the name in discussion informed a friend of mine that while I wasn't dating anyone now, that I would be dating him in the fall.  Naturally, this kind of creeped me out.  A lot.  With this dream in the forefront of my mind, I ended up thinking about all the people named John (not J-o-n, that "h" does make a difference) that I know.  After thinking through various Johns of my acquaintance -- from the obnoxious redhead in elementary school who drove me absolutely crazy for years to my mom's stepbrother (who apparently doesn't like us enough to condescend to talk to us on the rare occasions when family functions are a mix of Morrils and Agrens) to the John I encountered in institute during the most recent year of school -- I concluded that people named John and people named Korbie did not mix. 
This verdict seemed a little harsh, however, so I decided to look to characters called John in various books and movies.  Having recently finished watching Little Dorrit (which, obnoxiously, was horribly horribly scratched all through the climax. . .don't laugh, it was too tragic) didn't particularly help my opinion of people named John.  In fact, the character John Chivery probably scared me more than Rigaud did for a few episodes (he reminded me far too much of John-from-my-institute-class. . .), simply because the I have a John Chivery equivalent in my life.  There were many other characters named John that further perpetuated the stereotype -- mad King John of Robin Hood fame in My Unfair Godmother, John Willoughby and John Dashwood of Jane Austen's Sense and Sensibility, John Yates in Mansfield Park, John Thorpe of Northanger Abbey, and John Wattlesbrook in Austenland and Midnight in Austenland.   I had completely given up on ever being able to meet anyone named John without pre-judgment, but then. . .then I watched North and South with Melanie, and remembered that Mr. Thornton's name first name is John. And while I likely would not marry the modern-day equivalent of John Thornton, I do like and respect the character a great deal.  So, to all the Johns out there in the world -- y'all owe a big thank you to Mrs. Gaskell, just saying. 
           Grateful for this distraction this provided from post-wisdom teeth removal pain,
                                               -- Allerednic Jane

No comments:

Post a Comment